5 Tips for Driving Safely in the Rain
This winter has brought a ton of much-needed rain to drought-parched California, but unfortunately, it has already caused a number of car accidents throughout the state among drivers who are unused to driving in less-than-ideal conditions. The Sacramento car accident lawyers at Miller Injury Attorneys care about your safety, which is why we have put together a list of simple tips you can follow to stay safe on the road and reduce your chance of an accident.
Follow these five tips for safe driving in the rain:
- Stay alert. Driving can be a monotonous task, and sometimes it can be difficult to adjust your thinking when the weather changes. When it rains, make sure you stay focused on the road and others around you.
- Slow down. Speed limit signs show the maximum speed that is safe for ideal conditions. That means that when it is raining or snowing, you should adjust your speed!
- Beware of hydroplaning. It only takes one twelfth of an inch of rain for your tires to lose grip with the road and slide on a layer of water. If you feel your vehicle beginning to hydroplane, let off the accelerator slowly and steer straight until you regain control.
- Don’t use cruise control. Using cruise control in slippery conditions can increase your risk of losing control of your vehicle. You may think that staying at one constant speed is safer, but if you hydroplane with the cruise control engaged, your car will end up going faster.
- Use your headlights. If you have to use your windshield wipers, you need to use your headlights. Visibility decreases in the rain, so make sure to use your headlights so that others can see you.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Miller Injury Attorneys for more information on your rights. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, vehicle repair costs, pain and suffering, and more. Backed by nearly 30 years of experience and proven results, our vigorous team of Sacramento personal injury attorneys stops at nothing in pursuit of maximum compensation for our clients.
For more information, do not hesitate to call us today at (916) 525-7761.